Thursday, May 01, 2008

Does depression effect the heart?

As I sit in class searching the Internet for more information about depression I came across a website that had some interesting facts about some symptoms of depression. Reading through this article I see that people are not just sad but overwhelmed by sadness. Depression can have different effects depending on the person. Although I knew about depression this website has made me understand more symptoms of depressions. People with depression have different effects like weight gain or loss is an indicator as is a change in sleep patterns to either extreme - insomnia or excessive sleep. Restlessness, slowed movements, and mental or physical fatigue may also indicate depression ("Seven Symptoms That You Are Getting Into A Depression" ). Feelings such as guilt, fear, hopelessness, and more are also symptoms of depression.

Now I started to wounder does depression have an effect on a person's heart? To find my answer I started to search the Gale database. Looking trough a couple of articles before I finally found one that answered my question. This article stated that heart rate variability (HRV) continues to decline in patients whose depression does not respond to sertraline (Zoloft), while it ceases to decline in those who do respond to sertraline (Psychosomatic Medicine). They stated that they were unsure weather the medication causes this or if it was the difference in the type of depression. Taking depression to heart: research shows a link between mood disorders and heart disease. Getting treatment for depression can help reduce your risk (Langlois, Christine). Searching for more about the effects depression had on the heart i found an article from the Internal Medicine News. This article said that patients with depression probably were also significantly more likely to have a baseline history of stroke, TIA, cancer, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (Cardiovascular Medicine)



"Seven Symptoms That You Are Getting Into A Depression." iampanicked.com (2008) 28 04 2008 .


Moon, Mary Ann. "Depression affects heart rate variability.(Psychosomatic Medicine)." Clinical Psychiatry News 35.10 (Oct 2007): 35(1). Health Reference Center Academic. Gale. McKinley High School. 1 May 2008 .


Langlois, Christine. "Taking depression to heart: research shows a link between mood disorders and heart disease. Getting treatment for depression can help reduce your risk." CARP for the Fifty Plus 24.1 (Feb 2008): 31(3). Health Reference Center Academ. Gale. McKinley High School. 1 May 2008 .


Jancin, Bruce. "Depression tied to worse heart failure outcomes.(Cardiovascular Medicine)." Internal Medicine News 40.11 (June 1, 2007): 35(1). Health Reference Center Academic. Gale. McKinley High School. 1 May 2008 .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i believe that depression is a real big issue and that it could effect the heart just like stress does to our body it makes us feel moody and emotional etc, good topic.

BrittanyO said...

My topic is also depression. Some of the stuff that you posted is some stuff that I didn't even know. Depression is nothing to be played around with. If It doesn't get fixed or you don't get help it could be become worse.