So I was down in the guidance office at my school, talking about the upcoming college year and how my grades were helping my chances of getting accepted. I brought up this assignment for Mr. Malley's class and told her that I didn't relly know where to look for this information. She told me about a parenting site that might have some good content that would be helpful to my research. She said the name of the site was so I went there to find some solid information.
I browsed the site and couldn't find much on the homepage about teens and tecnology so I just used the websites search engine. I searched the words "teens communication".....no luck. Then I searched the words "impact of computers" This returned four search results. I clicked the one titled "Effects on Cognitive Skills and Academic Performance" I read through and was interested in the first section of the article titled "Effects on Social Development and Relationships". The website brought up some good points that while it may influence a child's cognative and acedemic skills, it can also shape children's social interactions and development. The artical stated that the computer becomes the parent figure in a child's life. ("The Impact of Home") This is an almost scarey thought that children would actually cling more to thier computer than their mother or father. That would be a problem because when a parent tries to show some authority or affection the child will most likely reject any response a normal child would give. I guess now the only thing to do is see first hand how this generation communicates.
Kaveri Subrahmanyam, Robert E. Kraut, Patricia M. Greenfield, and Elisheva F. Gross. "The Impact of Home Computer Use on Children's Activities and Development." The Future of Children 6. 14 May 2008
Thursday, May 08, 2008
Web 2.0.....Has a Little Bad
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment