Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My thoughts and my findings about depression

Looking back at the beginning of this project I realize that depression is more then a disease. Although depression isn't thought about as a major problem, we still can't ignore it. Just like any other illness or disease you have to treat it before it gets worst. While doing my research I've learn that people can have many different side effects when they have depression. These side effects can include weight gain, loss of weight, sadness, insomnia or excessive sleep, slow ,movements, restlessness, fatigue, feeling guilty, and fear. Though their are many other symptoms for this illness these are some of the most visible ones.

In my research I have realized that depression can make a person want to commit suicide or make a person have suicidal thoughts. Although people don't always have thoughts of suicide this should also make us be more aware of depression and the problems that depression can cause. With this fact found from an article by Vincent Iannelli that 2.5 percent of children and up to 8.3 percent of adolescents in the United States suffer from depression, we should learn to be more aware of our surroundings(Iannelli).

Thinking about my essential question I've learned that many people use different techniques to get rid of depression. Some people like my mother use medication such as antidepressants like selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) or tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs). Other people use different tactics like psychotherapy, and Electro convulsive therapy. Even though many people have depression doesn't mean that they all can take the same treatment. Some people might not be effected by the antidepressants that they were prescribed, so maybe medication isn't the best thing to do to get rid of depression. Others might not want to spill theirs feelings out to someone they don't know because then it makes them seem defenseless.

So what does that mean when I can't find one solution to a problem. Well I think the best way to get rid of depression is by letting the person that has depression first off decide on the way that their comfortable with to get rid of it. We can't automatically assume that they want to take medication or talk to a therapist. If we force those people to do what we think is right wouldn't we just cause them more pain because they aren't doing what they feel is right. That might make them feel as if their thoughts and options don't count, but they do. So we can't allow ourselves to ignore their feelings.

On another note depression is a major disease and it is spreading throughout the country. Although depression is not contagious, with the amount of people that are depression it seems like it is. So we as people need to stop making ourselves feel better by making others feel worst. We should judge ourselves before judging others. Teasing others isn't as funny you think it is. You may be effecting that person on a deeper level then they make it seem. Think about all the people you have teased or made fun of, did they seem to care? On the outside maybe not, but how do you know what they were feeling on the inside. So don't be the cause of someone else's sadness or tears.

As I finish with my findings I admit defeat. I thought I could find a good way for everyone to get rid of depression, but I guess there is no right way for everyone. I now know that everyone has to get rid of this illness the way their comfortable with and not the way others believe is right because that may cause their depression to increase. So we have to make sure to cure their illness we must keep their thoughts about how to cure it in mind.




Iannelli, Vincent. "Teen Depression Research Study." About.com 08 05 2008 .

2 comments:

Robert F said...

Good job depression can be a very bad thing. You gave nice details and explained yourself. You seem to no alot and your doing a great job writing keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

I really did enjoy reading your post because it gives a person so much incite on the subject which is depression. I really did find your post interesting and very informational. Depression is a big deal and most people might not even know it. They do things such as tease people so might be able to ignore it but others take what other people to say to heart and effect them deeply.