Teens have to overcome many problems throughout their teenage years that can cause depression. Large-scale research studies have reported that up to 2.5 percent of children and up to 8.3 percent of adolescents in the United States suffer from depression (Iannelli). Dr. Iannelli believes that depression may be a big part of the reason most teens do not live up to their full potential. As I read more i9n the article i find out that they think that depression increases the thoughts of suicide behavior in young adults and children. They fear that because they don't know if all depression medication is not yet fully safe and efficacy for youth (Iannelli).
After finishing reading through the article by Dr. Iannelli, I researched more about depression. I came across a site from Harvard University. About one in 10 Americans suffers some form of depression, according to the National Institute of Mental Health (What is Depression? ). They say that they believe that women, more then men experience depression more. Depression seems to be a problem among many people and everyone seems to have their own definition of depression. Depression has many meanings among doctors, mental-health professionals and people on the street. Why are there so many definitions? One reason for this is that there are many varieties of depression(What is Depression? ). So since there is no real definition for this disease, does that mean there is no real cure? I don't understand how depression can be so complex, but I guess depression is a complex disease.
Iannelli, Vincent. "Teen Depression Research Study." About.com 08 05 2008
"What is Depression?." Harvard Medicine
Thursday, May 08, 2008
Teens and depression, can it really be that bad?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I like this post because it is very true. Teens do have to overcome many problems throughout there teenage years. I think that some teens suffer from depession because they take somethings way to serous like breaking up with a boyfriend/girlfriend, sports, or even school. When they should just take one step at a time to solve there problems.
There are alot of people out there that really do suffer from depression. Even those who you might not even think. I find your research topic very interesting for the fact that i went into a mild depression twice in my life. One back in 6th grade and then again almost 2 years ago when i lost my father. I started acting out, not acting like myself but its scary to think that something like depression can happy to the most bubbly chearful person.
I like this topic. It gives teens a chance to comment on a topic that could effect every one of us. I know plennty of teens that have been depressed before. I think teens are very easily depressed because of all of the pressure put on them. School, life at home, friends, a death of a loved one, anything really effects a teen to the fullest.
Post a Comment