Friday, April 18, 2008

The beginning of my research........

As I sit here thinking about how depression has many effects on someones everyday life I found a website that had alot of good information about depression. While reading through the information I found out that there are many reasons for depression. These include traumatic life experiences such as the death of a loved one, certain diseases or medicines, substance abuse, hormonal changes, or a family history of depression (Causes of Depression). I was shock to find that there are so many reasons for depression. As I looked into another site it stated that "Like any serious medical condition, depression needs to be treated" ,which I believe is a true statement(Understanding Depression).

Although sometimes depression cannot be stopped I found out some ways that doctors try to help their patients with depression. The three most conventional treatments for depression include medication, psychotherapy, and Electroconvulsive therapy, however new treatments and less conventional options are also available, including self help, life style changes, and vagus nerve stimulation("Clinical Depression"). I know that depression can have major life influences and I hope that people with depression don't let it take over their life. Receiving help in any way is better then leaving this problem untreated. Although I know that most people take medicine to take away depression and sometimes it works but how about the other methods? Do they work just as well? Well I got lucky because just the other day I ran into an old friend on Seneca Street. She was always a close friend of mine but she was always depressed. She told me that she is now going to counseling which is helping her. She spoke to me about all the issues her and her counselor speak about. Before saying our goodbyes she told me that with counseling she hasn't been as depressed anymore because she talks about her issues more often. So why do people take pills if counseling can help just as well. I guess I'll have to research and find out more.

"Causes of Depression." Lexapro escitalopram oxalate 26 04 2007 18 04 2008 .


"Understanding Depression." 18 04 2008 .

"Clinical depression." Wikipedia. 18 Apr 2008 .

No comments: