Friday, April 18, 2008

The Research Has Begun!!!

I started searching Wikipedia just do get an idea of what I was researching. I know not all the info that is posted on Wikipedia is factual and can easily be edited by anybody with an account, but I promise if I give a bit of false info from this site, it will be corrected later on in my research. So like I said, I was doing my research and found one definition of Web 2.0. They described Web 2.0 as a trend in the use of world wide web technology and web design that aims to facilitate creativity, information sharing, and, most notably, collaboration among users. (Wikipedia "Web 2.0"). Next, I decided to use a web 2.0 site. I went to the very popular, user generated site, YouTube. While on YouTube i used keywords like Internet, technology, and web 2.0. I came across a video called Tim O'Reilly on What is Web 2.0? It was just a short 50 sec interview with O'Reilly. He explained his rule of Web 2.0 is that "Users add value" This basically means that the more users that use the website the stronger the website becomes. The user, for the most part, creates the website.("Tim O'Reilly on What is Web 2.0?")
So i think that's all the info I was looking for from that website and I turned my attention to a new source, the television. I was flipping through the stations and luckily caught the middle half of a program that was talking about web 2.0. I didn't get a specific name but i think it was called "The Machine is Us/ing Us" and it was definitely related to my topic. It gave me a better understanding because you could see visually what he was talking about instead of reading a bunch of jumbled words from a wiki that may not be true. So as I watched I took notes. The program brought to my attention that Web 2.0 involves programs that almost all teens with Internet access are using. This includes blogs, message boards, E-mails, instant messaging, video sharing, audio sharing and a ton more. A lot of the big name companies involved in Web 2.0 are Myspace, YouTube, Blogger, Facebook, Digg, Wikipedia, and AIM. There are a whole list of others but those are the big name sites that most teens use on an everyday basis. ("The Machine Is Us/ing Us"). OK, So how does this effect teens communication?


"Web 2.0." Wikipedia. 20 Apr 2008 .

"Tim O'Reilly on What is Web 2.0?." YouTube. 21 May 2007. 20 Apr 2008.

"The Machine Is Us/ing Us". Dicovery Channel.

No comments: