Friday, April 25, 2008

Depression .... How can we solve this growing problem?

I started to think why do people choose medication over counseling. While I looked into more information about depression I found an interesting paragraph found on the Drug Digest online page. While reading this article I found out that many people go on antidepressants such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) (Depression ). The antidepresents are taken for about four to nine months, and after their treatment is finished the doctors usually suggest their patient to see a therapist for a while. Doctors don't take depression as a joke, because depression is dramatically increasing within our age group we should be worried. What we need to do is ask ourselves why are people becoming depressed?

I think that depression may be the cause of people letting others getting to them. I also believe depression may start at a early age and just sticks worth you throughout your life. This illness spreads through the younger generation more because as teens we want to fit in. We change who we really are so people would like us. If teens weren't so worried about their image and worried about what there people think they wouldn't let themselves get down. I know your probably saying that "I don't care what people think of me", well your lieing because I know that within every teens mind there is that little voice that echos in your mind. A teens we tend to take that voice seriously and you get worried. I think depression can be prevented, we as the younger generation has to make the difference. Look around you I bet you don't talk to half the kids in your classroom. I bet you make fun of someone everyday. You don't know how much your laughter can make them hurt. Depression among teens in my options is because of home problems and normal teenage problems.



"Depression." Express Scripts 01 03 2008 25 04 2008 .

2 comments:

ChanWillTheyWont said...

I like this post alot. I agree with what your saying as far as how you think people become depressed. Teenagers are obsessed with their image and thats a major problem.

Anonymous said...

I first start realizing depression when my ex-best friend was showing unusal signs of sadness. I would try and talk to her and she would just pretend everything was alright. She was upsessed with her wait and the attention from boys. i started to realize she had scars on her wrists. My friend was cutting herself. I talked to her and she decided to get some help. She started to see a doctor about her depression. Depression is a very serious matter and should be helped.